The Fire Academy - Non-Credit (0021)
Firefighters are essential in our communities and risk their lives to help others. If you have the ability to remain calm in dangerous situations and excellent teamwork skills, firefighting may be of interest.
At HACC, Central Pennsylvania’s Community College, we have trained individuals about firefighting since 1989. Safely YOURS, we will continue to provide a safe atmosphere for you to pursue your goals.
In addition to fighting fires, firefighters serve as:
- Responders to hazardous material incidents
- Vehicle rescue technicians
- Teachers of basic fire prevention techniques
Explore YOUR career with Career Coach! Career Coach is a helpful tool that will assist you in developing a path from your education to the job market. With Career Coach, you can find:
- Average hourly wages
- Information about possible careers of interest through a variety of search options
- Discover what occupations are in demand within the region you select
- Number of individuals currently employed within that occupation
- Anticipated number of job openings available – just to name a few!
Begin exploring your options now!
With top-notch instructors who are hired based on their expertise, you will focus on topics intended to successfully prepare you to pass the Firefighter I and II certification exam and the Pennsylvania Department of Health Emergency Medical Technician certificate exam.
Our program is offered weekdays from 7:30 a.m.-4:45 p.m. and can be completed in eight or 14 weeks. The eight-week program does not include the emergency medical technician portion.
We operate under a semi-military environment with strict guidelines established for a cadet’s behavior, attitude and interaction. Cadets are required to assume in-class leadership roles during the academy. Cadets are exposed to daily and weekly academic testing, physical exercise and development.
Our classes are designed to prepare you to:
- Obtain course completions of: National Incident Management System (NIMS 700, 100 and 200)
- Obtain National Professional Qualifications Certifications in:
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)1001 - Fire Fighter I and Firefighter II Certifications
- NFPA 472 - Haz Mat Awareness and Haz Mat Operations Certifications
- American Heart Association Certificates in both Professional CPR and First Aid
- Obtain course completions of Pennsylvania Department of Health Basic Vehicle Rescue series
- Complete HACC’s Emergency Medical Technician Certificate of Completion (This is only during the 14-week academy. Pennsylvania Department of Health for EMT-B testing is also included.)
- Receive four (4) college credits for individuals who successfully complete HACC’s Fire Academy and who formally enroll as matriculated students into HACC’s Fire Science Technology Certificate Program or associate degree in fire science technology. These four credits can be applied towards the required 60 credits needed for graduation, but they may not substitute for any required fire science courses.
In-service cadets are those individuals employed by a municipal fire department. These individuals are enrolled by the employing agency. Pre-service cadets are those cadets who attend on their own and are responsible for tuition and other expenses.
Municipal police officers and county detectives are required to complete the 14-week fire academy in order to attain certification, which is mandated by the Municipal Police Officer's Education and Training Commission.
You can complete the entire program at our Harrisburg Campus.
Yes! Through the HACC Foundation, there are scholarships available. Please visit hacc.edu/scholarships for details and deadlines.
Please use the information below to contact us to learn start dates and enrollment deadlines.