HACC Students

International Student Requirements

Learn about international student requirements.


I am an international student. What should I know?

It is your legal responsibility to know your status requirements. 

Contact the International Student Coordinator with any questions. 


How can I get a reduced course load?

As an F-1 international student, immigration law requires you to enroll in a full course of study. You must also complete a full course of study. A full course of study is at least 12 credits each Fall and each Spring semester.

Certain specific situations allow you to reduce your course load. These include academic or medical reasons.


Do I need a program extension?

You need a program extension if you are:

  • An F-1 international student
  • Unable to complete a full-course of study before the completion date. You can find the completion date on your I-20 document.

Before the completion date on your I-20 document, you must:

  • Apply for a program extension. Download the Program Extension Guide (pdf) for more information. 
  • Submit new financial documents
  • Submit the recommendation form from your advisor


What should I do when I am finished at HACC?

The government and HACC will use this form to update your immigration status and student record.


I want to transfer out of HACC. What should I do?

Once you are ready to transfer to your new school, you must:

  • Complete the Transfer Out Form (pdf).
  • Return it to the International Student Coordinator to complete the transfer process.


I am an F-1 student and would like to travel outside the U.S. What should I do?

  • Contact the International Student Coordinator at least two weeks before leaving the U.S. The coordinator will sign your I-20 document. The coordinator will also review the documents you will need to re-enter the country. 
  • Download the Travel Guide (pdf) for more information.


What should I do if my address is changing?

Immigration requires you to contact HACC's Disability Services Office (DSO) within ten days of moving. The DSO will update your electronic immigration record.

Update your address by: